Tuesday, September 10, 2013

September 10, 2013



hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)


So far I've enjoyed the MTC!
But I don't like the food. The mild foodie in me is convinced that I'm eating cardboard glued together with fat. I eat lots of fruit.
But I do love the focus on teaching people and directing lessons to match people's needs. We've done tons of role playing, and we have two "investigators" that we are working with. Role playing is so helpful in learning what works and what doesn't. I feel like my knowledge is adequate but I'm not quite as good at connecting with people. I love my district's teachers, Brother Flores and Harward. They are excellent at inviting the spirit and asking the right questions to help us learn. It's interesting how learning is the same, no matter what the subject is- because when I try to help people with math, I try to ask questions that get them to think and lead them to teaching themselves. And that's what they do, except with teaching the gospel to investigators. 

My companion is Sister O'Mealy. She's great- she's from Reno, Nevada. She's also 21. She's slightly crazy- you know how we think clear blue skies are absolutely beautiful? She thinks overcast skies are beautiful. CRAZY!! But I love her. And really the only thing that's crazy about her is her obsession with clouds. We both love huge storms, though. She's awesome. The other two sisters in my district are from Arizona and California. They're super sweet, we all get along really well.
My district has 8 people- 4 elders and 4 sisters. Here's the best part: we are all going to Montana! Next week there will be 28 of us leaving on Tuesday for Montana! CRAZY! I think I've met most of them. You can tell Sister Jensen that I met Sister Moline- the daughter of the first missionary that she ever talked to. I haven't seen Jana here though :/
I would say that overall the MTC here is roughly 60% elders and 40% sisters. By the end of the year, there should be 85,000 full time missionaries. The work is hastening!
As for ages- 3 of the elders just graduated high school (I think) and the other two sisters are 19. But they are all surprisingly mature. Oh- and the MTC sisters choir will be singing in this next conference. The choir director claimed this was confidential, but I doubt it.
We (my district) might be moving this week to the MTC West Campus- AKA the BYU housing that the MTC is taking over. It includes Wyview and River-something. Riverside, maybe?

The turnover here is so ridiculous. Last week, we were the newbies. Today ALL of the rest of our zone/branch is gone- we're the only ones. Tomorrow, more newbies arrive and suddenly we're the "experienced" ones. And then we leave early the next week. I love the learning here at the MTC, but I would not want to stay here much longer than the ~13 days I have. Thank goodness I'm not going to somewhere with a ridiculous language- I wouldn't be able to handle the food for that long. Or the fact that we have to get up SO early. We have to be AT breakfast by 6:30, not just awake by 6:30. But they still have us so busy and not going to bed till 10:30. So I'm tired. I see a nap later during personal time. Right now I'm doing laundry, and we went to the temple earlier.
eh that's about it. just lots of learning and good times! I'll try to get you pictures soon.
I'm not sure when I'll be able to email next since I'll be traveling on my MTC p-day and will have missed my Montana p-day.
Maybe I can call?
Not sure if it's allowed. But my flight's 9:30ish mountain time, and we're leaving the MTC at 5:30.

Love,
Sis G

No comments:

Post a Comment