Monday, January 26, 2015

where everything ACTUALLY comes from...


This is Sister Gray's last week! She goes up to Billings on Friday and flies out on Saturday. I believe that I will just go with the other Lovell sisters once she leaves and stay with them until transfers next Wednesday. 

I am trying to decide what President is going to do for my last transfer. I figured he would just put me with the other Lovell sisters, but he also made some weird changes with those sisters, so we shall see.

Actually, because we are teaching his foreign exchange student, we are at the stake president's home quite often. And, he is working on adjusting housing for the other Lovell sisters as well. But it's hard to adjust housing when you aren't sure what's going to happen for transfers... Anyways, ultimately I am trying to get early transfer news from our stake president since he is trying to get news so he can figure out housing haha

So Sister Gray & I aren't the only ones sick in Lovell - all of our appointments Friday and Saturday cancelled, including one of our dinners. But we were okay with that because even Lovell is hip enough to have a food truck. 

Try to find Deaver, WY. Um yeah, population of about 5 people. But they have this Chinese food truck called Jen's Little China, and it comes into Lovell on Saturdays. Since we didn't have a dinner, we decided to hit it up. I'll send the picture along. It was pretty good, and also had no MSG - even better. Still the noodles were a little saltier than I would like, but the beef & broccoli was way good. Diana & Greg would probably like it, but then again, I don't think they will ever find themselves in Deaver, WY, let alone Lovell.


                                                          Checking out the Chinese food truck in Lovell....

Anyways, Lovell DOES have good food. I have one more restaurant here to try, though.

In other news, both Sister Gray and I spoke in Lovell 1st ward yesterday. The 1st counselor figured that since both of us were going home so soon, that we should speak in sacrament. He wanted us to focus on some of our missionary stories. So I shared about the power of God, and how I had seen that power in the conversion of the old man in Butte and the family in Billings. Maybe I'll just give the same talk when I get home since someone isn't giving me a topic ;)

One thing I learned this week is to chillax. Being uptight & a perfectionist runs in the family, and I would say that of us 3 kids, I definitely have it the worst. There's a difference between working hard and being irrational about it. 

It reminds me of when I joked with Prof. Anderson and told him that his tests always gave me splitting headaches, and he retorted that if I didn't insist on getting over 100 on all of his tests that I wouldn't be getting the headaches.

What made me think about this was witnessing several conversations in which some people were way too distraught over certain things. 

Anyways, there is a healthy balance between hard work and reality, and to use mom's favorite phrase, some things aren't worth "getting your undies all in a bunch". 

So for my senior year at USU, I still have goals for getting my 4.0, but I'm not going to shoot for the nonexistent 4.1. 

And also for my mission, you can't try any harder than your best. And let's be real, it's NEVER about what you do. It's about what you let the LORD do through you. Anything good that ever comes is through Him. 

After giving my talk on Sunday, many people commented that "you did such a good job on your talk". Honestly, that made me feel a little uncomfortable. Because if they got anything out of what I said, it was NOT me, it was the Spirit prompting my words and touching their hearts.

Not to jump around, but I also have always attributed my academic success as coming from Heavenly Father as well. I work and study hard, but I always rely on Him to help me learn, understand, and remember the material. And I always pray for that help. 

This reminds me of King Benjamin, because he always attributed everything back to Heavenly Father. 

"And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you" (Mosiah 2:25)

And honestly, all of Mosiah 2 is fantastic, King Benjamin is a great example of humility. Read it. Love it. Apply it.

Welp, that's about it. I'm going to be in limbo next time I write, which is so my favorite thing. NOT. I still laugh that, when I complained about being in limbo my freshman year @ USU, all of us made the comment that I shouldn't serve a mission because that is perpetually limbo.. But I wouldn't trade it for anything :)

Love,
Sista G

No comments:

Post a Comment