Monday, February 16, 2015

Happy President's Day!


Remember how I would always order a grilled cheese when I was little, no matter which restaurant we went to? I am realizing that I never actually grew out of that, it's just my taste is getting more refined.

I bring this up because tonight we have dinner with a potential investigator family. They are going to be making us specialty grilled cheese with brie, apple slices, and fig jelly (if I'm remembering right)

Anyways, last Monday we showed up because they were a couple in our area book that we didn't know. We ended up talking about family history, and they invited us over for dinner tonight and a tutorial on family history. Yeah, neither of us are very good with family history, so we may end up just getting them in touch with the family history center here in Lovell. I'll have to let you know how it goes. But needless to say, I have been looking forward to this sandwich for a week now. Nothing is better than brie and apples together.

.....I figure since Dad wants me to train for TOSRV, it won't hurt to eat what I want now....

But we hope that family history will soften their hearts and prepare them to learn more about the gospel. They are pretty active in their church - it's a nondenominational one here in town. 

Other news. We should be teaching the other Japanese exchange student this week. But I also know that I have been saying that for a couple weeks now. So we will see! I am a little more hopeful this time haha

Moving on.
Did I tell you about the man we tracted into a couple weeks ago? The one who has spent his life drinking and chasing woman and tearing up a few marriages along the way? I'll refer to him as G.

Well, we taught G about the Restoration this week. He still feels like he is too old to get baptized, and by that he means that he is too old to change from his less-than-upstanding ways. But, the key is that he does want to change. He just doesn't have the faith to do it yet. He didn't come to church, but he did keep up his promise to skim through the Book of Mormon and the Restoration pamphlet. 

Anyways, "anyone can change. anyone can choose to leave the past behind them and move on"
(Pretty sure that's an exact quote from "New Years: look not behind thee" mormon message. Watch it, and then let me know if I nailed it.)

I'm thinking of maybe showing him "Reclaimed", another awesome Mormon message. Because he can change, and I know reading the Book of Mormon and praying will be key to helping him grow in faith. I've seen it before with that good ol' man from Butte.

Honestly, it comes down to agency. We do not have to let anything define us - "the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself" ( 2 Nephi 2:16) and because Christ has redeemed us from the fall, we are given the chance "to act for themselves and not to be acted upon"

"Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil" (2 Nephi 2:27)

Anyways, because of agency, we can choose... and even if we have chosen wrong in the past, because of Christ, we have the opportunity to change and begin to choose the right. That's what the Atonement is for.

But yeah, that is what has been on my mind.

Hope you have an awesome week & that it warms up!
I'm all bummed because this week is going to be in the 30's instead of being in the 50's... (: As long as it stays above freezing, I suppose I shouldn't complain!

Love,
Sista G

No comments:

Post a Comment