Monday, March 9, 2015

are you willing to change?


In short, the all-mission meeting was amazing. There are so many of us! Definitely a blessing to get to see EVERY missionary in my mission. (:

I was surprised, however, that the meeting really did not focus on technology that much. Definitely with maybe one exception, I did not really learn new ways to use technology for missionary work.

But I did learn this - that one of the main reasons technology is being embraced for missionary use is so that missionaries can learn how to use technology productively and for positive usage. 

Which, is so important.
Think of all the deadly things on the internet, things that can harm us, and how easy it is to access it. And also consider how easily we can waste time online. 

The goal is to teach this technological generation to use the internet and electronics productively and as tool.

As I said though - the technological roll-out was not focused on technology very much at all.

In truth, it was focused on keeping covenants and experiencing a change of heart.

Elder Zwick began the meeting with asking, "are you willing to change?"
None of us are perfect, so thus we have need to change. Therefore we need to regularly ask ourselves that question. Are we willing to change? What can we do differently to keep the covenants that we have made?

We took this theme, and applied it to many of our lessons this week. We taught many less-actives who were not sure if they wanted to commit to coming back to church. I reminded them, however, that they already committed. They already said yes. 

Alma 5 is a powerful chapter, directed towards members that were going wayward, calling them to remember what the gospel meant to them and to repent. The last two verses read:

61: And now I, Alma, do command you in the language of him who hath commanded me, that ye observe to do the words which I have spoken unto you.

 62: I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church I speak by way of invitation, saying: Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life.

Once you have made those covenants, those sacred promises to God, you are held to that standard. Living the gospel is not a choice that we get to make anymore, because we already said yes - we already agreed and made our decision.


In the missionary world, so often you hear about living up to the missionary standards because you already agreed to serve the Lord with all your heart, might, mind, and strength for 18 months (or 2 years). But now my mission is closing, I realize that I am held to much more than missionary promises, but eternal covenants that I have agreed to. And I fully intend to keep them. Therefore I am committed to always change, that I may always more fully keep those sacred promises. Because I agreed for eternity (:


And let's be honest, I hardly know what I am talking about here. 
I have learned so much on my mission, but the greatest thing that I've learned is that I know so little.

But I am leaving more converted and more committed than I came.
And I think I am safe to say that that means everything.

See you Saturday!

Love,
Sister Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment